I guess that's rhetorical considering I'm just lying in my room typing words in hopes of finding a way to start this. I guess the best place to begin is at the beginning...
When I was 8 I started wearing a retainer at the recommendation of my orthodontist. He didn't really give much of an explanation as to why I should wear one, but he started me on the awkward appliance none-the-less. Over the next couple of years, it became obvious that the retainer wasn't the solution, just a place holder for events to come. He realized that my lower jaw was growing more than my upper and that there wasn't much he could do until I stopped growing and my jaws found their temporary resting place. Temporary? Yes, temporary because as soon as they maxed their growing potential, they were going to take my wisdom teeth (which were doing just fine in my head), slap on some braces, adjust things with rubber bands, then brake my jaws in 4 places with a laser, before continuing with braces for another year... all in my mid-twenties.
Digression:
Now most kids complain that they had braces during their high school years and how embarrassing they were while they were trying to pick up girls or impress the guys with their bright smiles. To them I say this: everyone goes through it then so they don't have to as an adult. If one more bouncer holds my ID up to my head to make sure I'm not a high school senior who stole their brother's ID to have some fun at the bars, I will probably do nothing. But it's still pretty annoying!
But before I start sounding bitter, I think it is important to note that I am extremely grateful to have this done. Despite my complaining, I am so fortunate to have this process in my life. All in all, it will be about 2 and a half years of unpleasantness for a lifetime free of worry from TMJ, lock-jaw, sensitive nerves, no back teeth, or never knowing what its like to actually bite through something cleanly. But the thing I am most grateful is the willingness of my mom and step-dad to fully support me through this process. Without them, this wouldn't be happening.
Being that it's only Sunday night and I'm still just under 55 hours away from the surgery, I can't really talk about my experience cause I haven't had it yet. What I can say is that of all the experiences in my life, I have never been as nervous as I am now. I have never broken anything. So the first broken bone I'll have will come via laser and Dr. Cheng. I doubt I'll sleep much the night before. I know that cause I can't even sleep now. But I think it's about time to try. That's all I have at the moment. Hopefully I'll get better at this whole blogging thing. I think it will help me to consider this a journal that I don't mind others peeking at to help me not feel so self-centered when writing this. So feel free to write back!
Much love.
No comments:
Post a Comment